FactMosaic logo

Isolated Act: Fatal Shooting Occurred Hours Before Women’s World Cup Commenced in New Zealand


In downtown Auckland, New Zealand, early Thursday, a gunman unleashed gunfire on frightened workers at a construction site, resulting in the death of two people. This tragic incident occurred just hours before New Zealand hosted the first game of the Women’s World Cup. Authorities found the man responsible for the shooting dead, and they believe that his motive was connected to his previous employment at the site.

New Zealand Prime Minister Chris Hipkins stated that the shooting was an isolated incident. Despite the rare occurrence of such attacks in the country, the FIFA tournament proceeded as planned with a match between the home team and Norway, albeit with heightened security measures. Despite the unsettling event, a substantial crowd, including the prime minister, attended the stadium. The attendees observed a moment of silence to honor the victims of the shooting, which also caused injuries to a police officer and four civilians.

Hipkins reiterated, “There is no broader national security threat. This seems to be the act of a lone individual.”

Police Commissioner Andrew Coster revealed that the gunman was a 24-year-old individual with a history of family violence. At the time of the shooting, he was serving a sentence of home detention. However, the gunman had previously worked at the building site and authorities had granted him an exemption to do so. According to Coster, the man’s motive seemed to be related to his previous employment at the site.

Early in the morning, the shooting commenced as the man, armed with a shotgun, proceeded through the unfinished building. He fired at people, causing many to flee or seek shelter, according to Coster. Subsequently, the man barricaded himself in an elevator shaft, prompting a SWAT-type team to take action.

According to Coster, the offender shot at the police, resulting in an injury to one officer. In response, the police exchanged shots. They later found the offender deceased less than one hour before the Women’s World Cup.

Leave a Response